Do you remember enjoying a meal at that famous restaurant, and wishing you could get the recipe for it? Or visiting a city for the first time, and eating at that cute little caf that everyone raved about? Well now, you literally have your cake and eat it too. Or at least the recipe for the cake.
The Signature Tastes of Charleston captures the actual recipes from the restaurants that define the culinary tastes, as well as trivia and facts, about the city. With almost 70 recipes from every corner...from the Slightly North of Broad Oyster Stew, to the famous Black Cat burger at Poe's, these are the restaurants and signature recipes that define the Holy City.
Blue Crab Butterbean Soup
199 East Bay Street, Charleston, SC
Ingredients for Soup
2 C. Yellow Squash, medium chop
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, small chop
1 Large White Onion, small chop
1 1/2 C. Cooked Butterbeans or Lima Beans, blanched
1/2 lb Smoked Sausage, medium chop
1 Fresh Jalapeno, minced
1 Tbsp Garlic, minced
1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
Tabasco, to taste
Salt, to taste
4 C. Chicken Stock
3 Tbsp Butter
1 lb Picked Blue Crab
Method for Topping:
1. Saut the 1 pound of blue crab in butter with a pinch of parsley, lemon, and salt and pepper to taste.
2. Divide evenly amongst the bowls and garnish with a pinch of cornbread crumbles and cup chopped scallions.
Method for Soup:
1. In a medium pot, melt Butter.
2. Add squash, red pepper, onion and jalapeo.
3. Saut for 5 minutes.
4. Add sausage, beans, garlic and Creole seasoning.
5. Simmer 5 minutes.
6. Add stock and salt, season to taste.
7. Simmer 30 minutes.