The greatest tool to prevent infection during construction is awareness.
This updated resource by expert Wayne Hansen, PE, REA, CEM, along with contributions from 10 other experts, helps you prevent and manage healthcare-associated infections related to construction, renovations, repair, and maintenance activities. Easy-to-use tools help you set up a risk management program, monitor construction activities, and comply with all regulatory codes and standards.
- Stay compliant with all standards, regulations, guidelines, and code changes for any type of hospital construction, renovation and/or maintenance project
- Prevent the spread of HAIs including Legionella, Aspergillus, MRSA, and VRE
- Monitor your IC during construction program effectively with customizable checklists, charts, forms, and guidelines
- Use proven containment protocols if an outbreak of any sort does occur in your building
Includes all recent updates to standards, regulations, and guidelines since the last edition in 2004 from organizations including The Joint Commission, FGI, ASHRAE, and CDC
This resource also includes downloadable tools such as:
- ICRA matrix of precautions for construction and renovation
- Checklist for fungal growth sources in building
- Point-of-use containment device log
- Construction activity/infection control matrix
Table of Contents
Foreword by Judene M. Bartley, MS, MPH, SHEA
Introduction By Wayne Hansen, PE, REA, CEM.
Chapter 1: The Issues by Wayne Hansen, PE, REA, CEM
Chapter 2: Standards, Regulations, and Guidelines: Synergy for Good Practice or Barriers? by Judene M. Bartley, MS, MPH, SHEA
Chapter 3: Infection Prevention and Control: Responsibilities of the Architect by Robert L. Dooley, AIA, ASHE
Chapter 4: Fungi in Buildings by Philip R. Morey
Chapter 5: Waterborne Pathogens by Tim Keane
Chapter 6: Contamination Mitigation and Prevention by Wayne Hansen, PE, REA, CEM
Chapter 7: Containment Protocols by Wayne Hansen, PE, REA, CEM
Chapter 8: Project Commissioning and Environmental Testing by Wayne Hansen, PE, REA, CEM
Chapter 9: Integrating Infection Prevention and Control Into Projects Understanding the Risks by Joan M. Wideman, MS, MT(ASCP)SLS, CIC
Chapter 10: Education of the Project Team and Other Key Players by Joan M. Wideman, MS, MT(ASCP)SLS, CIC
Chapter 11: Contracting Procedures by Wayne Hansen, PE, REA, CEM
Chapter 12: Effective Mold Management in Construction Projects: The View from a Contractor's Perspective by Rob Case, MS
Chapter 13: Case Study: An Insider's Reflection 12 Years Later at the Integrated Approach to Reducing Risk in Construction and Maintenance-Related Projects by William Meins, BSc, MSc
Chapter 14: Is the ICRA Program Successful? by Bette Meins, RN, BSN, MSN, CHPN, CHA
Chapter 15: Facility Impact: Pay Now or Pay More Later by Wayne Hansen, PE, REA, CEM
Chapter 16: Case Study: A Hospital's Failure to Prevent an Airborne Fungal Infection by Andrew Schillinger, Esq., and John R. Layman, Esq.
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION