Arrives in 3-7 Business Days
How should we understand and interpret the strange but familiar thing that we call religion? What are the foundations of a methodical approach to this subject, and what theoretical tools are available to students who are new to this area of inquiry? A Beginner's Guide to the Study of Religion provides an accessible, wide-ranging introduction to theories and basic methodology in the field. Now in its second edition and updated throughout, this concise but comprehensive book includes:-
- A case for the urgency and relevance of studying religion today
- Discussion of the role and perspective of the student of religion
- Description of the nature of theory and its function
- An accessible survey of classic theorists in the modern study of religion
- Feature boxes highlighting essential quotations and guiding principles for application of theories
An expanded consideration of contemporary issues in the field, including gender, sexuality, race, ethnicity, globalization, violence, science, and new media.
- Recommended further reading
A Beginner's Guide to the Study of Religion offers a thorough but concise body of material suitable for introductory courses on the study of religion, or to provide theoretical context for survey courses. Study questions and worksheets can be found on the book's webpage.
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION