Written by the late Patrick Wormald, one of the leading authorities on Bedes life and work over a 30-year period, this book is a collection of studies on Bede and early English Christian society.
- A collection of studies on Bede, the greatest historian of the English Middle Ages, and the early English church.
- Integrates the religious, intellectual, political and social history of the English in their first Christian centuries.
- Looks at how Bede and other writers charted the establishment of a Christian community within a warrior society.
- Features the first map of all known or likely early Christian communities in England.
- Includes plans and illustrations of the finest early Christian church in England at Brixworth.
- An appendix considers Bedes treatment of St. Hilda, the first great English female saint.
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION