So you've decided to find out about Linux.
Who better to fill you in than PC Magazine?
If you can imagine something you'd like your computer to do, you can probably do it with versatile, economical, powerful Linux. Here's how to tap that power, from installation to Linux desktop environments to getting things done. The accompanying CD-ROM gives you everything you need to get started, and with the dual boot option, you don't even have to give up the familiar comfort of Windows in order to try it out. What are you waiting for?
If Linux is free, why is it sold?
What's open source? Is Linux the same as Unix? What do abbreviations like GNU, GNOME, and KDE mean? Why are there so many versions of one operating system? Isn't Linux just for hackers and geeks? Find the answers here!
A few of the things you'll learn
- The differences in the various Linux distributions and which is right for you
- How to install Linux, even if you've never installed an operating system
- All about the GNOME and KDE desktops
- How the unique Linux terminal works
- Ways to back up data, add and remove software, and manage your Internet connection
- Secrets of security for Linux systems
- The scoop on servers-Apache, Postfix, and Squid
Note: CD-ROM/DVD and other supplementary materials are not included as part of eBook file.
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION