A definitive reference from the name synonymous with distinguished lexicography
For fast, up-to-date, and reliable information on the correct spelling and usage of today's myriad abbreviations, turn to a name you can trust. The Barnhart Abbreviations Dictionary is the most complete, authoritative reference of its kind now available. More than 60,000 entries put the materials you need at your fingertips. It explains the recommended usages of current abbreviations, as well as their literal meanings, while the distinctive, two-part format (see examples below) makes it easier than ever to find the answers you're looking for. With The Barnhart Abbreviations Dictionary you can:
* look up an abbreviation to find out what it stands for...
* or look up a term to find out how to abbreviate it.
* The most up-to-date and preferred forms
* Notes on pronunciation and context
* Extensive listings of scientific, technical, and computer abbreviations
An indispensable tool for the Information Age, when quick, concise communication is vital, The Barnhart Abbreviations Dictionary is your fastest, easiest, and best source. Authoritative and up-to-date, with more than 60,000 entries, this innovative volume is a landmark of its kind. Its publication marks the first time a staff of dictionary editors has constructed a new list of abbreviations from working files of contemporary English. Materials have been gathered from general interest newspapers, books, and magazines, and a wide array of technical publications, among other sources.
Beyond the scope of its contents, however, what separates The Barnhart Abbreviations Dictionary from similar reference works is its user-friendly, two-way format. Readers may look up an abbreviation to find out what it stands for, or--equally important--may look up a term or phrase to learn how to abbreviate it, an advantage that makes this volume invaluable.
In addition to literal definitions, you'll find detailed information on the meaning and context of each abbreviation, where needed. For example, under the entry Rh, readers learn not only that Rh stands for Rhodium or Rhesus Factor, but that Rhodium is a chemical element, and that Rhesus Factor refers to antigens found in red blood cells.
Other important features include:
* The most extensive coverage of scientific, technical, and computer abbreviations
* Notes on pronunciation and variant forms, the use of abbreviations and written symbols, foreign abbreviations, and the use of abbreviations with numbers or signs
* Preferred usages based on the style books of the U.S. Government Printing Office, The New York Times, the Modern Language Association, the Oxford University Press, and other influential sources
Organized, efficient, and very easy to use, The Barnhart Abbreviations Dictionary is an essential reference for both home and office.
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION