ADDICTION PSYCHIATRY: Current Diagnosis and TreatmentNorman S. Miller, M. D.
Addiction psychiatry is a relatively young field that encompasses the causes, characteristics, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of drug or alcohol addictionin addition to the specific mental disorders that frequently co-occur with substance abuse.
Addiction Psychiatry: Current Diagnosis and Treatment is a unique work in that it not only provides a comprehensive, practical overview of addiction psychiatry, but also gives detailed accounts of the most current clinical issues. The book opens with an overview of the history and basic tenets of the field, then goes on to explore the relationship between psychiatric and addictive disorders. Subsequent sections offer guidelines for laboratory testing to achieve diagnosis, or dual diagnosis in cases of co-occurring disorders. The text concludes with extensive discussions of specific and practical treatment options, as well as some thoughts on preventing addiction.
Individual chapters in the text cover such topics as:
- DSM I-IV and exclusionary criteria for addictive disorders
- Classification for diagnosis in addiction psychiatry
- Course and prognosis of psychiatric and addictive disorders
- Addictive disease as a psychiatric disorder
- Clinical indications for testing
- Methodology and guidelines for laboratory testing
- A systematic approach to differential diagnosis and treatment
- Abstinence-based treatment and other forms of therapy
- Treatment in psychiatric and addiction settings
- A practical guide to pharmacological treatments
- The prevention of abuse and addiction to drugs and alcohol
Written by a widely recognized authority in the field, Addiction Psychiatry: Current Diagnosis and Treatment is designed to serve as a standard reference for this rapidly growing specialty. This book will prove an indispensable resource for addiction psychiatrists, psychiatrists, residents in psychiatry training programs, students, and all professionals involved in the treatment of alcohol and drug addiction.
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION