Arrives in 3-7 Business Days
A comprehensive treatment of force feedbackthe hottest area of research in virtual reality
Can interactivity in virtual reality (VR) extend to include our sense of touch?
Could weight, temperature, and texture combine to bring simulated objects to life? Describing cutting-edge technology that will influence the way we interact with computers for years to come, this pioneering book answers yes: not only is it possible, but devices capable of providing force and tactile sensory feedback already exist.
Force and Touch Feedback for Virtual Reality is the first comprehensive source of information on the design, modeling, and applications of force and tactile interfaces for VR. It is a must have for scientists, engineers, psychologists, and developers involved in VR, and for anyone who would like to gain a deeper understanding of this exciting and fast-growing field.
Complete with hundreds of tables, figures, and color illustrations, Force and Touch Feedback for Virtual Reality offers
- Basic information on human tactile sensing and control and feedback actuator technology
- A worldwide survey of force and tactile interface devices, from the simple joystick to full-body instrumented suits based on human factor tests
- Step-by-step instructions for realistic physical modeling of virtual object characteristics such as weight, surface smoothness, compliance, and temperature
- A unified treatment of the benefits of the new haptic interface technology for simulation and training based on human factor tests
- A detailed analysis of optimum control requirements for force and tactile feedback devices
- A review of emerging applications in areas ranging from surgical training and entertainment to telerobotics and the military
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION