Arrives in 3-7 Business Days
Are you are a researcher, in industry or in academia, in the chemical, life, medical or physical sciences? - If so, this text will help you use SciFinder in a way which will increase your research creativity and productivity.
Information retrieval is arguably one of the most important skills a scientist needs in the 21st Century. The SciFinder interface to the world's scientific literature is both unique and innovative and while it is intuitive and has a very user-friendly interface, searches will be performed more effectively and efficiently with an understanding of the databases involved and the processes by which SciFinder searches.
This 'behind the scenes' look at SciFinder summarises the databases and explains how the user may creatively take advantage of the unique search opportunities provided.
I have done a search but why did I get this answer? This text explains why, and more importantly, discusses how you may best use the 40+ options in SciFinder, such as topic, bibliographic and chemical substance explore options, to get the best answers possible.
Complementary rather than an alternative to the proprietary websites and manuals the book explains:
* the content of electronic information resources and why it helps if scientists understand some basic issues involved with information retrieval
* why it is important, and how, to apply scientific method to information retrieval
* selected algorithms behind the operation of SciFinder/SciFinder Scholar and why it helps to understand them for effective searching
* how to set up the search question and how SciFinder/SciFinder Scholar, essentially a research tool, may be used creatively to initiate research ideas
* why certain answers are retrieved and how to revise answers in a way that maximises comprehensive and precise retrieval of information
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION