Twenty years since the first edition was published in the German language, and just over fifty years since the launch of the Earths first ever artificial satellite Sputnik 1, this third edition of the Handbook of Space Technology presents in fully integrated colour a detailed insight into the fascinating world of space for the first time in the English language.
Authored by over 70 leading experts from universities, research institutions and the space industry, this comprehensive handbook describes the processes and methodologies behind the development, construction, operation and utilization of space systems, presenting the profound changes that have occurred in recent years in the engineering, materials, processes and even politics associated with space technologies and utilization. The individual chapters are self-contained, enabling the reader to gain a quick and reliable overview of a selected field; an extensive reference and keyword list helps those who wish to deepen their understanding of individual topics.
Featuring superb, full colour illustrations and photography throughout, this interdisciplinary reference contains practical, hands-on engineering and planning information that will be invaluable to those on a career path within space technology, or simply for those of us whod like to know more about this fascinating industry.
Main section headings include:
- Introduction (historical overview, space missions)
- Fundamentals (orbital mechanics, aerothermodynamics/ reentry, space debris)
- Launch Vehicles (staged technologies, propulsion systems, launch infrastructure)
- Space Vehicle Subsystems (structure, energy supply, thermal controls, attitude control, communication)
- Aspects of Human Flight (man in space, life support systems, rendezvous and docking)
- Mission Operations (satellite operation, control center, ground station network)
- Utilization of Space (Earth observation, communication navigation, space astronomy, material sciences, space medicine, robotics)
- Configuration and Design of a Space Vehicle (mission concept, system concept, environmental simulation, system design, Galileo satellites)
- Management of Space Missions (project management, quality management, cost management, space law)
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION