For BTEC construction students, Science, Structural Mechanics and Materials are combined into one unit. This new book focuses mainly on science and structural mechanics but also provides basic information on construction materials. The material is presented in a tried-and-tested, student-friendly format that will create an interest in science and ensure that students get all the information they need - from one book.
Construction Science & Materials is divided into 17 chapters, each with written explanations supplemented by solved examples and relevant diagrams to substantiate the text. Chapters end with numerical questions covering a range of problems and their answers are given at the end of the book and on the book's website.
The author takes into account the latest Edexcel specifications (August 2010) and provides information on topics included in Levels 2/3/4 Science, and Science and Materials. Brief coverage of building materials but more detail on science and structural mechanics topics will be included. Recent developments in science and building materials are covered as well as changes in the Building Regulations.
The book includes assignments that can be used by teachers for setting coursework or by students to reinforce their learning. The assignment tasks will cover the latest relevant learning outcomes/grading criteria set by Edexcel.
Students will find here all the information, explanations and self-test exercises they need to complete the mandatory topics on BTEC Construction Science and Mathematics (Level 2) as well as Construction Science and Materials (Levels 3/4).
The book will be invaluable both to students and teachers as it:
- includes many diagrams, examples and detailed solutions to help students learn the basic concepts
- integrates science with construction technology and civil engineering
- has an early chapter on basic construction technology to help understand technical terminology before going through the main topics
- offers a detailed explanation of relevant topics in structural mechanics
- gives end-of-chapter exercises and practice assignments to check and reinforce students learning; assignments provide coverage of the grading criteria set by Edexcel.
The book has a companion website with freely downloadable support material:
- detailed solutions to the exercises and assignment tasks
- details on the design of building foundations and design of timber joists
- PowerPoint slides for lecturers on each chapter
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION