A Companion to the History of the English Language addresses the linguistic, cultural, social, and literary approaches to language study. The first text to offer a complete survey of the field, this volume provides the most up-to-date insights of leading international scholars.
- An accessible reference to the history of the English language
- Comprises more than sixty essays written by leading international scholars
- Aids literature students in incorporating language study into their work
- Includes an historical survey of the English language, from its Germanic and Indo- European beginnings to modern British and American English
- Enriched with maps, diagrams, and illustrations from historical publications
- Introduces the latest scholarship in the field
MORE FROM THIS COLLECTION